This hamburger and hotdog bun recipe is delicious and soft. You’ll love it for sure!
A great formula for making the softest buns you could ever want.
- stand mixer
- 40 grams bread flour
- 54 grams water
- 120 grams whole milk
- 240 grams whole milk
- 18 grams instant yeast
- 640 grams bread flour
- 14 grams fine sea salt
- 70 grams granulated sugar
- 1 large whole egg
- 42 grams softened unsalted butter
- 1 large whole egg
- 1 splash whole milk
- Combine 60g of whole milk, 27g of water, 20g bread flour, in sauce pot. Place on medium heat until it becomes a paste.
- Take 120g of whole milk heated to about 95F add 9 grams instant yeast. let sit for 8 min.
- Combine in bowl 320g bread flour, 35g of sugar, 7g fine sea salt, and whisk until incorporated.
- With stand mixer running on low speed with the dough hook, slowly add yeast and milk mixture and Tangzon paste to bowl followed by 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk (room temp)
- Increase stand mixer to medium low until Incorporated.
- Once incorporated slowly add 42g of softened unsalted butter, kneed for 8 min.
- Gently oil a bowl, take dough and pull in the sides. Place seem side down and create a boule and place it in bowl with damp towel for 1 1/2-2 hours and wait for it to double.
After the first rise.
- Take out dough and decompress air. Lightly flour surface and put your dough on the table and divide into 6 even pieces. 95g-105g each.
- Shape each section into a boule creating tension on the top
- Place balls on parchment paper far enough apart for rise. Cover and let rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until it's doubled.
Hotdog bun shaping
- Take boule and flatten with rolling pin into an oblong shape.
- Starting along the long side, roll to the end of the dough.
- Pinch dough together along seem.
- Place on parchment paper far enough apart for rise. Cover and let rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until it's doubled.
- Create egg wash with one egg and a splash of milk. Cover top of buns with egg wash.
- Bake at 375F for 16 to 18 min or until deep golden brown.