I came up with this delicious formula a few weeks ago and my girlfriend and I have loved it ever since. It takes a full day to make but the results are DELICIOUS! Let me know if you try this yourself and how it turns out!
Sourdough buttermilk sandwich bread.
- stand mixer
- 125 grams sourdough starter 25 grams starter, 50 grams flour, 50 grams water
- 30 grams bread flour
- 150 grams water
- 420 grams bread flour
- 217 grams buttermilk
- 10 grams salt
- 25 grams granulated sugar
- 55 grams butter
- The night before you bake, create your levain and let it sit out over night.
- Mix 25 grams of starter with 50 grams of flour and 50 grams of water.
Make the Tangzhong
- In a small sauce pan mix 30 grams of bread flour with 150 grams of water over a medium heat stirring constantly until it begins to thicken. Once it begins to look like runny mashed potatos, remove it from the heat and allow it to cool.
Making the dough
- In your stand mixer add the flour, salt, sugar and mix it all together.
- Attach the dough hook to your stand mixer and set it to a low speed. Slowly add your buttermilk and let it incorporate into the flour.
- Once the buttermilk is mixed in, add your levain and Tangzhong.
- Slowly add the butter.
- Increase mixer to the third setting and allow it to knead the bread for 6 minutes or until it's become smooth.
- Remove the mixing bowl with your dough still in it from the stand mixer and set it on a counter top. Leave the dough in the mixing bowl and let it rest for 30 min.
Stretch and fold
- Once the resting time for your dough is done you will need to begin the first set of stretch and folds.
- Begin by wetting your hands and taking the top of the dough and stretching it up, and then folding it down. Then turn your bowl to the side and repeat for all 4 sides. Once done, cover and allow it to rest for 30 minutes.
- Repeat stretch and fold as above two more times with a 30 minute rest in between each set.
- Do a window pane test. If it doesn't pass, do another set of stretch and folds and test again. If it passes add the dough to a bulk container or a bowl and allow it to rise 50%.
- Once it's risen dump the dough onto a non floured surface. Shape into a boule and cover with a damp cloth for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes flour your work surface and place the dough on top.
- Degas your dough lightly and stretch into a rectangle. You can use a rolling pin if you need to. I preffer doing it by hand.
- Taking the left and right side of your dough, fold both sides to the center.
- From the bottom, roll the dough to the top, and then place into a buttered loaf pan.
- Cover with a damp towel and allow it to rise 50-75%.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Place loaf pan in center of oven and allow it to bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown and internal temprature reaches 210F.
- Remove from oven an place on cooling rack for 30 minutes.