This recipe is not only easy to make, it tastes delicious as well! I used dehydrated buttermilk, which I HIGHLY recommend for anyone that uses buttermilk infrequently.
A great easy recipe for English muffins. The buttermilk helps to add a kick of flavor
- stand mixer
- 355 grams unbleached bread flour I use high gluten flour and it works great.
- 4 grams granulated sugar
- 5 grams salt
- 4 grams instant yeast
- 15 grams unsalted butter room temp
- 245 grams buttermilk or milk room temp
- 1 cup cornmeal this is to sprinkle on the buns before they go into the oven.
- Stir together the flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in a mixing bowl. Using the paddle attachment on low, until incorporated.
- While mixing add buttermilk slowly and allow it to form a ball. The dough should be soft and pliable, not stiff.
- Switch to a dough hook and knead on medium for 8 minutes. Add a little flour as needed to form a tacky, but not sticky, dough. It should pass the windowpane test.
- Lightly oil a bowl and place the dough in the bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let sit for 60-90 minutes or until double in size.
- Remove dough from bowl and place onto counter top. Divide the dough into 6 pieces of around 30 ounces each.
- Shape each piece into boule.
- Line a sheet pan with baking parchment, Mist the parchement lightly with spray oil, and dust with cornmeal.
- Transfer the balls of dough to the sheet pan, spacing them about 3 inches apart.
- Sprinkle lightly with cornmeal.
- Cover pan loosely with plastic wrap or towel.
- Let sit at room temperature for 60-90 minutes or until double in size.
- Heat a skillet or flat griddle to medium and preheat your oven to 350F with oven rack on middle shelf.
- Brush the pan or griddle with vegetable oil or mist with spray oil.
- Uncover the muffin rounds and GENTLY place them on the pan or griddle. Use a metal spatula under them to do so.
- Fill the pan so that each piece is 1 inch apart and not touching.
- The dough on the pan or griddle will flatten in the pan and spread slightly, then puff a little. Cook them for 5 minutes on each side or until the bottom of the dough is a rich golden brown.
- Transfer the pieces to a sheet pan and place the pan in the oven on the middle rack.
- Bake for 5 to 8 minutes to ensure center is baked.
- Transfer the baked muffins to a cooling rack and let sit for 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
If you can’t fit all of your pieces onto the pan or griddle at one time, make sure to keep the pieces waiting to be cooked under a damp towel or plastic wrap to keep from drying out. Do NOT allow the cooked pieces to sit on the counter while waiting for other pieces to cook in the pan or griddle before you place them in the oven.